Monday, March 16, 2009

Tuesday, March 10, 2009


5. I find my eyes are tired after a long day at work on the computer. What could be the cause of this ?

If you are sure that you are not suffering from any debilitating illness such as anaemia and that you are getting a full night's good quality sleep, then the problem is more than likely an optical one. You may need spectacles specifically for use with your computer.

This problem may exist in isolation in which case I would prescribe single vision spectacles focussed on the computer screen. It may also be combined with an underlying difficulty with small print in which case I would prescribe bifocal lenses that are designed specifically for use with the computer screen. These lenses have a power in thenm that is focussed on the screen and a small seg which is focussed on the person's reading distance. This allows them to have clear vision at both the computer screen and for very small print at their normal reading distance. They are not suitable for long distance vision and should only be used at the computer terminal. I call these lenses Compufocals (c).

If you feel there may be a problem with your vision when using computer screens, you should contact the Health and Safety Officer or HR Manager in your company and have them arrange for us to call and test the staff in your office (our number is 0868532931).

Friday, March 6, 2009

FAQ Continued

4 How Does My Optical Benefit Work ?

Optical Benefit is provided by the (Irish) State in two different ways.

The Medical Card (HSE, Department of Health)

If you are aged over 16 and are entitled to a Medical Card you can claim Optical Benefit through your local Health Service Executive (HSE) Health Centre. They will provide you with the application form. Alternatively, you can call in to us at 179 Crumlin Road Dublin 12 to collect a form here or telephone us at 01 4542306 or 0868532931 or email and we will post out an application form to you. Once you have completed the application, you then need to send it in to your local office or return it to us and we will forward it on for you. The HSE will process the application and return the Authorisation to you. Once you have that, you can call us to arrange an appointnent.

PPS (PRSI) Benefit (Department of Social & Family Affairs)

If you are working and paying PAYE and PRSI, provided you have enough contributions, you may claim Optical Benefit from the DSFA. It works exactly like the Medical Card Benefit and wou are covered for the same things. Application forms are available from us (as above) or from the Department of Social & Family Affairs, St Oliver Plunkett Road, Letterkenny, Co.Donegal.
You can Call them on Lo Call 1890 400 400 or locally in Dublin at 01 874 8444.

What Am I entitled to ?

Under both schemes, you are entitled to an eye examination and either a pair of distance spectacles and a pair of reading spectacles OR a pair of bifocal spectacles made up to the standard (Class 1) frame - completely free of charge.

If you wish to opt for more expensive frames, lenses, coatings etc., then you would have to pay the extra cost yourself.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

D.Mulvey Opticians Ltd.: FAQ

D.Mulvey Opticians Ltd.: FAQ

D.Mulvey Opticians Ltd.

D.Mulvey Opticians Ltd.


Here is a list of the most Frequently Asked Questions that I receive.

1. When did you qualify as an optician ?

I qualified in 1979 and went to work immediately for what was the busiest practice in the country, Mc Givney's in Henry Street. The company celebrated 150 years in businrss a few years ago - it was founded in 1833. Sadly, it closed its doors for the last time in 2008.

2. I am able to see perfectly in the distance but I can't read anything up close. Can you do anything to help me ?

When we hear this question, it is usually from someone who is over 40 years old. When we do an eye examination we usually find that they do indeed have perfect or near perfect vision for the distance, driving, TV etc., but their near vision is impaired to a greater or lesser degree. This condition is called PRESBYOPIA and results from the hardening of the crystalline lens inside the eye over time. The onset is usually in the early to mid forties. The solution is to make READING GLASSES or BIFOCALS.

3. I can see very well up close but anything further than arm's length is a blur. Am I going blind ?

The concern and worry here is very understandable. The problem is, in essence, the opposite one from the last question. The condition is called MYOPIA (SHORTSIGHTEDNESS) and is because the axial length of the eyeball is longer than the focal length of the optical system of the eye. This results in a blurred image falling on the retina. This condition can be remedied by using minus lenses otherwise known as negative or concave lenses. They effectively lengthen the focal length of the eye and cause the image falling on the retina to be sharp.
Greetings Everyone ! This is my first post to the blog that is completely dedicated to my optician's practice. For those of you who don't know who or where we are, here are some details :

About Me :

Name : Dominic Mulvey

Address :

D.Mulvey Opticians Ltd.,
179 Crumlin Road
CrumlinPost Options
Dublin 12

Tel : +353 1 4542306
Mobile : +353 (0)86 853 2931

email :

Web site :